When Geeks Go Outside
One of the coolest things about camping for me is the toys. Over time, I’ve ridden trail bikes, driven four-wheel drives, camped in storms, camped in remote areas, camped on mountains and camped by the beach. I can’t think of a trip where a gadget of some type hasn’t been involved. Gadgets make life easier, cooler and definitely more fun.
Think you’re too tough? Think again!
Now I know there are those “man vs. wild” type campers out there that complain that you don’t need fancy gadgets when you go camping. However look at Bear Grylls, the original “man vs. wild”, does he not have a very cool survival knife? If you’ve ever seen those things in the shop you’ll discover it’s got about 5 different gadgets built in. Camping gadgets are not only fun and cool, I’d go as far as saying they are “essential”.
If you’ve done any camping at all you’ve probably used a GPS a million times, you’ve probably lit a fire without matches, you’ve probably cooked or eaten using titanium materials and you’ve probably used a LED head lamp. We probably don’t consider these to be gadgets, but they are!
Geeky and I know it
I’m not ashamed to say that I spend a good 70 – 80 hours a week consuming the internet, working in my super geeky business, gaming, and generally obsessing over all things online. While I consider my self a geek and spend an enormous amount of time online, I also love getting outside.
While I obviously take all my “i” devices camping, I also love taking an assortment of cool gear as well. Here’s just a sample of the geeky gadgets I take camping:
- Wind up LED torch – Yep never need batteries, ever! Wind up technology and LED technology gets better every year. With current technology you simply never need to buy batteries.
- Solar recharger – Everyone’s “i” device runs out of steam except me! Yes Solar has scope to improve however 4 – 6 hours in the sun will fully change most “i” devices
- Titanium cooking and eating gear – Super lightweight and incredibly strong, nothing beats titanium if you’re a geek.
- Night vision mono scope – Because it’s just cool to see what’s running around out there. I don’t use a super expensive “special forces” version just a basic mono scope to have some fun.
- Survival knife – For everything from surviving a zombie apocalypse to cutting up an apple.
- Portable coffee brewing machine! – Geeks need their fuel right!
There is an impressive array of cool camping toys and gadgets to head out into the bush with. Look around next time your camping; you wont be the only one taking technology outside!